Wellington Street, Staunton Street..everyone knows these streets today, but what about 100 years ago?
1. Gough Street
It’s an emblematic street of NoHo (North of Hollywood Road). Historically, many printing shops were settled there.
Nowadays, they have mostly been replaced by international brands for Fashion & Home furnishings.
No need to mention the famous Kau Kee restaurant and his never-ending queue.
2. Blake garden
At the end of 19th century, this neighborhood became overcrowded when British colonial government forbid Chinese people to live in Central.
Living conditions were terrible. Bubonic plague in 1894 claimed more than 2,500 victims.
As a result the Government decided to destroy the most unwholesome part and built the first public park in Hong Kong: Blake Garden (Francis Blake was a former Governor of Hong Kong).
3. Tai Ping Shan Street
In Chinese, Tai Ping Shan means: “Peace Hill”. It’s the other name of the Victoria Peak.
In 1894, Tai Ping Shan was also hit by the bubonic plague. For a long time, this street was a synonym of death. A lot of coffin makers were located in Tai Ping Shan and Square Street – the legacy of the bubonic plague.
4.Upper Lascar Row
Historically, “Lascar” was used by the British to mention South Asian seamen.
In the end of the 19th century, the South Asian seamen met in this street to exchange goods. In the first part of the 20th, more & more antiques and old electrical appliances were sold on this market.
Cat Street is the other name of Upper Lascar Row. According to the legend, some shops used to sell stolen goods called “mouse goods” in Chinese. Shoppers walked in the street as discreetly as a cat hunting a mouse – so they were compared to cats.
5. Bonham Strand
Initially, this street was pretty closed to the sea shore, that’s why it was considered as a strand.
This street is well-known thanks to the dry seafood shops.
Sir Bonham was a former governor of Hong Kong who conducted the re-build of Sheung Wan District after an immense fire in 1851.
6. Staunton street
It used to be a residential district in Hong Kong. It is also called “Sam Sap Kan” referring to the 30 houses located in the street before.
After the opening of the Escalator in 1994, Staunton street became the center of the nightlife in Central with lots of bars and restaurants.
The 13th Staunton street was the former headquarter of Revive China Society of the famous Dr Sun Yat Sen.
7. Wellington Street
In 1843, the first catholic church of Hong Kong was built on Wellington street. Then, it was thoroughly destroyed by a fire in 1859.
In those days, lots of brothels were located on Wellington Street before moving to Wan Chai.
Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, extended the street to Queen’s Road Central.